C Drive Is Running out of Space on Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP
C drive running out of space is a common problem that can occur on any PC no matter it runs Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or Windows XP. Although you may encounter the C drive low disk space problem on different Windows OS, the alert message usually shows similarly and has the same meaning to tell that you need to delete some old or unnecessary files to free up disk space on C drive if you receive the alert message.
C Drive Runs out of Space on Windows 10
Windows 10 is the latest Windows operating system which was released for home PC users. If you receive messages that C drive runs out of disk space on Windows 10, there are 2 methods to resolve the problem without relying on any tool:
Method1: Windows 10 Disk Management to fix low space issue on C drive
When you receive message on Windows 10 to say C drive is running on low disk space, you can open Disk Management on Windows 10 to resolve the problem:
To Resolve C drive running out of space problem with Windows 10 Disk Management, you can:
Right click This PC > Manage > Disk Management > right click a volume that has much free space and select Shrink Volume to get some unallocated space > Right click C drive and click Extend Volume option to add the unallocated space to C drive
Tip: Please make sure that the unallocated space is behind the C drive so that you can add the unallocated space to C partition. Otherwise, the Windows 10 Disk Management will be grayed out when you attempt to extend C drive.
Method2: Windows 10 Diskpart command to C drive
It is able to extend disk volume on Windows 10 by running Diskpart command, but the unfortunate thing is that Diskpart cannot extend system partition.
You can refer to Windows 10 Diskpart Extend Volume to get more detailed information.
C Drive Low Disk Space on Windows 8
Receiving low disk space warning on Windows 8 C drive? You can also run Windows 8 Disk Management to manage disk space so as to reallocate more available space to C drive:
Step1. Click Computer > Manage > Disk Management to open Disk Management in Win8.
Step2. Right click a volume which contains enough free space and click Shrink Volume option.
Step3. Enter the amount of space you want to shrink and then click Shrink button to get some unallocated space.
Step4. Right click C drive and select Extend Volume option.
Step5. Enter the amount of space you want to add to the C drive and then wait the unallocated space to be added to the C partition.
Tip: Windows 8 extend volume grayed out in Disk Management if the unallocated space is not contiguous to the C drive.
System Partition C Running out of Disk Space on Windows 7
Disk Management on Windows 7 also has the ability to resolve low disk space issue on C drive by expanding the space of C drive. You can follow the same steps like Windows 8 to extend system partition C drive on Windows 7 under Disk Management.
C Partition Has Low Space in Windows Vista
Windows Vista Disk Management has the same function to shrink volume and extend volume so that you can resolve C partition low disk space problem under Disk Management in Windows Vista.
C Drive Running on Low Space on Windows XP
Unfortunately, the Disk Management on Windows XP does not allow its users to resolve low disk space problem on C drive. If you get alert message asking you to deleting files to free up disk space on Windows XP C drive, you have no method to manage disk space unless to relying on partition software.
Fix System Partition Low on Windows by Reinstalling System
Apart from what mentioned above, you can fix system partition low disk space problem on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 by reinstalling operating system. You can reinstall Windows operating system with different methods, but it will erase all data stored on C drive after system reinstalling. Therefore, you should backup C drive before system reinstalling.
Partition Software to Fix Problem When Windows Reports C Drive Runs out of Space
Partition software like IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free provides the easiest solution for C drive running out of disk space problem fixing. This partition software is completely free, which is able to shrink partition, move partition and extend system partition without reinstalling system or deleting any data on Windows Vista, XP, 7, 8, 10.
Download IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free Edition
More Related Articles You May Like
- how to fix low disk space warning in windows 7 - how can you resolve the problem when windows 7 says low disk space warning...Read more >>
- windows 7 extend volume grayed out - solution for partition increasing when extend volume is grayed out on windows 7...Read more >>
- how to extend system partition c on windows 7 - what is the solution for system partition size increasing on windows 7...Read more >>
- free to increase size of partition on windows 7 - increasing size of system partition, data volume on windows 7 for free...Read more >>
- how to create a partition in windows 7 - free download partition magic for windows 7 to create new volumes on windows 7...Read more >>
- windows 7 local disk c is running out of space - fix issue when windows 7 reports that local disk drive c is running on low disk space...Read more >>
- how to delete a windows 7 partition - partition software download to delete volume on windows 7 without using disk management...Read more >>
- partition software for windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit system - partition manager free download to resize disk on windows 7 32 and 64 bit...Read more >>
- add unallocated space to system partition windows 7 - how do you add unallocated space to system partition when windows 7 runs low on c...Read more >>
- expand c drive windows 7 vmware - free to expand the size of system partition c drive in vmware on windows 7...Read more >>
- IM-Magic Partition Resizer Server - Partition space redistributing software that works for Windows Server 2003, 2008 and other editions.