Free to Convert Unallocated Space to Free Space in Windows 10
"Can I convert unallocated space to free space on Windows 10 for free?"
This is a problem that has confused many computer users, while Windows 10 PC users are one of them. This article will share free methods to turn unallocated space into available space on Windows 10.
Differences between unallocated space and free space
Well, both unallocated space and free space refer to the disk space that has not been used. However, they have some difference.
About unallocated space
Unallocated space usually refers to the disk space that has not been formatted, so it does not have a regularly file system and you cannot write any data to it. Usually, unallocated space does not have a drive letter and it shows as unknown device or unallocated partition under Windows 10 Disk Management.
About free space
Free space refers to the disk space which contains no data. You can write any data to free space on Windows 10 and the free space will become less and less when more and more data is written to it.
Why Convert Unallocated Space to Free Space on Windows 10?
Simply say, unallocated space is not available for data storage before converting it to free space. Therefore, it is necessary to convert unallocated space to free space so that you can use it normally on Windows 10. Usually, you can turn unallocated partition to free partition in Windows 10 in following situations:
1. You can add unallocated space to existing partition on Windows 10 so as to increase the size of partition. For example, you can add unallocated space to C drive to extend C partition space on Windows 10.
2. You can create a new partition by formatting an unallocated partition into NTFS or FAT32 partition so as to change it to available space on Windows 10.
In conclusion, the reason why you convert unallocated space into free space on Windows PC is that you can create new partition or expand space of any partition on your computer.
How to Turn Unallocated Space into Free Space in Windows 10?
You can turn unallocated space into free space in Windows 10 with different methods:
1. Format unallocated partition to turn it into available partition in Windows 10
Usually, unallocated partition is not showing up in My Computer of Windows 10, so you have to open Disk Management in Windows 10 in order to see the unallocated space. Under Windows 10 Disk Management, you can right click the unallocated space and select Format Volume so as to format it into NTFS or FAT32 file system. After formatting the unallocated volume successfully on Windows 10, the unallocated volume will show as an available new partition on your computer.
2. Add unallocated space to existing partition to get more free space on Windows 10
You can also add unallocated space to existing partition on Windows 10 so that the exiting partition will have more free space. You just need to right click the partition that is contiguous to the unallocated space and then click Extend Volume option after entering Disk Management of Windows 10. Then, you can follow the extend volume wizard to add unallocated space to the selected partition.
If you want to add unallocated space to system partition on Windows 10, you must make sure that the unallocated space is contiguous to the C drive. Otherwise, extend volume shows grayed out when you attempt to add the unallocated space.
How to Convert Free Space into Unallocated in Windows 10?
In fact, you can also convert free space into unallocated in Windows 10 by shrinking existing partition under Windows 10 Disk Management. You can right click a partition that has enough free space in Disk Management and then click Shrink Volume option. Then, you can get some unallocated space when the partition shrinking is completed.
Free to Change Unallocated Space to Free on Windows 10 with Partition Software
You can rely on Windows 10 partition software if you are looking for an easy way to change unallocated space to free. IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free is free partition magic software that allows you to format unallocated space into free partition or add unallocated space to C drive so as to get more available space.
Download IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free Edition
More Related Articles You May Like
- windows 7 repartition hard disk - free download partition magic tool to repartition hard disk drive on windows 7...Read more >>
- windows xp disk management - disk management tool on windows xp to manage disk space for free in winxp...Read more >>
- c drive is running out of space on windows 10 8 7 vista xp - windows 10 8 7 vista xp reports low disk space warning message on c drive...Read more >>
- partition magic software for windows 10 8 7 vista xp - free partition magic software for windows 7 8 10 vista xp to redistribule disk space...Read more >>
- free to delete oem partition in windows 10 8 7 vista xp - how to delete oem partition on windows xp, vista, 7, 8, 10 for free...Read more >>
- windows xp partition tool - partition tool free download for disk repartitioning without losing data on windows xp...Read more >>
- windows xp extend system partition c drive - expand size of system partition c drive on windows xp with partition software...Read more >>
- resolve low disk space problem on system partition in windows xp - fix low disk space issue when windows xp c drive runs out of disk space...Read more >>
- make and add unallocated space to system partition in windows xp - how to make unallocated space on windows xp and add it to system partition...Read more >>
- how to resize disk partition on windows xp 32 and 64 bit - free to redistribute disk space on windows xp 32 or 64 bit version...Read more >>
- IM-Magic Partition Resizer Server - Partition space redistributing software that works for Windows Server 2003, 2008 and other editions.