How to Extend System Partition C on Windows 7
Are you wondering if there is any method to extend system partition C drive on Windows 7? C drive gets full soon due to Windows update, cookies and caches, etc, so it is a common problem that you need to search for a useful way to increase the size of system partition when Windows 7 reports low disk space on C drive If you still have not gotten a proper solution, this page will guide you to extend C drive system partition on Windows 7 with different methods.
Windows 7 Disk Management to Extend System Partition
Windows 7 Disk Management enables you to extend system partition, but it has some limitations. The most important point for partition increasing with Disk Management is contiguous unallocated space. Therefore, you had better open Disk Management on Windows 7 to check if there is contiguous unallocated space behind the system partition.
Expand system partition with existing unallocated space on Windows 7
It is easy to extend system partition under Disk Management if the unallocated space is right behind C drive. You just need to follow the steps below to extend system partition with existing contiguous unallocated space on Windows 7:
Step1. Right click C drive after opening Disk Management on Windows 7 and then select "Extend Volume" option.
Step2. You just need to click "Next" button on "Extend Volume Wizard" window.
Step3. Enter the amount space you want to add to the C drive can click "Next" button.
Step4. Click "Finish" button when it has successfully added the unallocated space to the C drive on Windows 7.
It is a little more difficult when there is no unallocated space in Windows 7. You can delete the partition behind C drive to create an adjacent unallocated volume and then follow the steps above to increase size of C drive on Windows 7.
1. Although you can get unallocated space by shrinking partition in Disk Management on Windows 7, it is recommended to delete the partition behind C drive because adjacent unallocated space is needed in order to extend C partition. When you shrink a partition under Disk Management, the unallocated you get is not contiguous to C drive.
2. Since deletion will erase all data on the partition, you had better move all important data to another place before deleting the partition.
3. You can only create unallocated space on the same hard disk. If there is more than one hard drive installed on your computer, you cannot squeeze unallocated space from one hard drive to extend another hard drive.
Increase Size of System Partition on Windows 7 with Free Software
You fail to increase size of system partition by using Disk Management in Windows 7 since the extend volume is grayed out? It does not matter why you fail to extend C drive with Windows 7 built-in partition manager, you can rely on IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free to move free space from other partitions to the C drive in order to get it to extended. IM-Magic Partition enables you to shrink any partition to squeeze some unallocated space and then allows you to move the unallocated space close to the system partition. Finally, this partition software enables you to add the unallocated space to C drive without touching any data stored on the partition.
Attention: You can shrink more than one partition to get enough free space, but you are only allowed to move free space on the same hard drive to increase size of C drive on Windows 7.
Download IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free Edition
More Related Articles You May Like
- windows 8 low disk space warning on system partition c - how to fix low disk space problem when you receive the message on system partition win8...Read more >>
- windows 8 disk management grayed out failed to extend volume - free to extend volume on windows 8 even when disk management grayed out stops working...Read more >>
- how to extend windows 8 system partition - partition software download for windows 8 system partition expanding to fix low disk space problem...Read more >>
- how to delete remove windows 8 partition - free to delete or remove partition on windows 8 with disk management or partition software...Read more >>
- free to increase partition size on windows 8 - free disk partition software for windows 8 to increase size of system partition c, data volume on win8...Read more >>
- add unallocated space to c drive windows 8 - how can you add unallocated space to increase c drive partition size on windows 8...Read more >>
- windows 8 disk space full - how to fix the problem for free when you receive low disk space warning that windows 8 disk space is full...Read more >>
- 8 ways to free up disk space on windows 8 - 8 common methods to free up disk space when windows 8 shows low disk space warning...Read more >>
- windows 7 disk management - disk management to free manage disk space on windows 7 so as to resolve different problems...Read more >>
- windows 7 partition manager - free partition manager download for windows 7 users to manage space on their computer...Read more >>
- IM-Magic Partition Resizer Server - Partition space redistributing software that works for Windows Server 2003, 2008 and other editions.