Windows 7 Local Disk C Is Running out of Space
You receive warning message that local disk C is running out of disk space on Windows 7? This kind of problem usually occurs after you use your computer for a long time. You hardly receive the low disk space warning message on Windows 7 when you get a new computer because there is no data being stored on a new PC. Along with more and more data and Windows updates are written to the C drive, the available space becomes not enough, in which situation Windows 7 alert you that C partition runs on low disk space and you need to free up disk space.
Methods to Fix C Drive Low Disk Space in Windows 7
If you have installed lots of programs on C drive in Windows 7, you can uninstall some unnecessary programs to free up disk space. Otherwise, it is usually useless to delete or move files from C drive because all data stored on C partition is system related information. When deleting or moving files is not helpful with the low disk space problem, you can try following methods to resolve the issue:
Method 1: Increase size of C drive on Windows 7
The most useful method to fix the issue that Windows 7 reports C partition is running out of space is to increase the size of this partition. On Windows 7, you can increase size of disk partition with build-in Disk Management. Therefore, you do not need to rely on any partition software for Windows 7. However, you had better backup data first of all before performing partition resizing. To increase size of C drive with Windows 7 Disk Management, you just need to delete the partition behind C drive so that you can get some unallocated space. Then, you can add the unallocated space to C drive so as to expand its space. Windows 7 Disk Management has the ability to delete partition to create unallocated space. And it also enables you to extend volume with existing adjacent unallocated space.
Method 2: Reinstall Windows 7 system and reallocate disk space
You can also reinstall Windows 7 system, during which you can reallocate disk by repartitioning the hard disk on your computer. System reinstalling will erase all data on C drive, so backup what you need before reinstalling Windows 7 system.
Extend Volume Grayed out on C Which Runs out of Space on Windows 7
After accessing Disk Management under Windows 7, you may find that it has function of shrink partition and extend partition. However, many Windows 7 users also find a problem that the extend volume option is always grayed out when they attempt to increase size of C drive on Windows 7. If you meet this situation, the reason might be that the unallocated space is not contiguous to C drive. Since Disk Management has no ability to move partition, you cannot move the unallocated space close to C partition. This is the reason why we recommend you to delete partition behind C drive to create unallocated space rather than shrinking a volume to squeeze free space.
Fix Windows 7 System Partition Running out of Space with Freeware
If you meet any limitation to fix the problem when Windows 7 shows system partition is running out of disk space, you can use the partition manger for Windows 7 to resolve the issue. IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free is a free partition magic tool which is able to work on Windows 7 to fix low disk space problem on system partition or any other partition. You just need to make sure that there is enough free space on other partitions on the same hard drive.
Download IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free Edition
More Related Articles You May Like
- windows 8 low disk space warning on system partition c - how to fix low disk space problem when you receive the message on system partition win8...Read more >>
- windows 8 disk management grayed out failed to extend volume - free to extend volume on windows 8 even when disk management grayed out stops working...Read more >>
- how to extend windows 8 system partition - partition software download for windows 8 system partition expanding to fix low disk space problem...Read more >>
- how to delete remove windows 8 partition - free to delete or remove partition on windows 8 with disk management or partition software...Read more >>
- free to increase partition size on windows 8 - free disk partition software for windows 8 to increase size of system partition c, data volume on win8...Read more >>
- add unallocated space to c drive windows 8 - how can you add unallocated space to increase c drive partition size on windows 8...Read more >>
- windows 8 disk space full - how to fix the problem for free when you receive low disk space warning that windows 8 disk space is full...Read more >>
- 8 ways to free up disk space on windows 8 - 8 common methods to free up disk space when windows 8 shows low disk space warning...Read more >>
- windows 7 disk management - disk management to free manage disk space on windows 7 so as to resolve different problems...Read more >>
- windows 7 partition manager - free partition manager download for windows 7 users to manage space on their computer...Read more >>
- IM-Magic Partition Resizer Server - Partition space redistributing software that works for Windows Server 2003, 2008 and other editions.