Windows XP Disk Management
Like all other Windows OS, Windows XP has built-in Disk Management which helps perform many tasks. Usually, you can access Disk Management on Windows XP by following the guide: right click My Computer on the desktop of Windows XP > click Management > click Disk Management.
After entering the Disk Management on Windows XP, you can see all disks on your computer, which usually show Disk 0, Disk 1…
What Can You Do under Windows XP Disk Management?
Windows built-in Disk Management is able to help manage disk space for free. On Windows XP, you can usually perform following tasks after accessing Disk Management:
- Open disk partition
- Explore disk partition
- Mark partition as active
- Change drive letter and paths for partition
- Format partition
- Delete partition
- Check Properties of partition
Featured Functions about WinXP Disk Management
Among all functions on Disk Management of Windows XP, the featured functions that PC users often use include format partition, delete partition, and change drive letter and paths for partition.
1. You can format an unallocated partition so as to create a new partition on your computer. Or you can also format a corrupted partition which is not accessible or showing up in My Computer of Windows XP.
2. You can delete a partition under Disk Management, after which you will get an unallocated partition. Usually, when you delete a partition in Disk Management on WinXP, it will erase all data on the partition and this partition will show as unallocated space on Disk Management.
3. You can change drive letter and paths for a partition under Disk Management when there are two partitions that have the same drive letter.
Windows XP Disk Management Grayed out Stops Working
You meet the problem that some options on Disk Management in Windows XP show grayed out? You probably find that the Windows XP computer Disk Management shows grayed out in following situations:
- Mark partition as active shows grayed out on C drive
- Format partition is grayed on system partition
- Delete partition is not working on C partition
It is a normal situation that some options show grayed out and cannot work on C drive, because C partition is system partition that contains Windows XP operating system updates and related information. You are not allowed to format or delete a system partition in order to prevent unexpected damage to your computer.
Windows XP Create New Partition with Disk Management
Do you know that you are able to create new partition on Windows XP? In order to create new partition on Windows XP with Disk Management tool, you have to get some unallocated space first of all. Then, you just need to follow the steps below:
Step1. Right click the partition that shows unallocated and then select New Partition
Step2. Click Next button in the picture 1 > click Next button in the picture 2
Step3. Specify partition size and then click Next button
Step4. Assign a drive letter and click Next button
Step5. Select the file system and then click Next button to format this partition
Step6. Click Finish button and then wait patiently before the format is completed.
Windows XP Disk Manager Tool
You can also rely on Windows XP disk manager tool to perform the same tasks as Disk Management. IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free is partition software for Windows, with which you can not only format partition, delete partition and create new partition, but so extend partition and shrink partition so as to fix low disk space problem on system partition or data partition on Windows XP.
Download IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free Edition
More Information about Windows XP
Microsoft has stopped providing updates and support for Windows XP for a long time, but it does not mean you can no longer install Windows XP operating system on your computer. As an operating system which was released in 2001, the performance of Windows XP cannot come up with the later version like Windows 7, 8, 10. However, it still has its own features that appeal to many computer users.
More Related Articles You May Like
- how to fix low disk space warning in windows 7 - how can you resolve the problem when windows 7 says low disk space warning...Read more >>
- windows 7 extend volume grayed out - solution for partition increasing when extend volume is grayed out on windows 7...Read more >>
- how to extend system partition c on windows 7 - what is the solution for system partition size increasing on windows 7...Read more >>
- free to increase size of partition on windows 7 - increasing size of system partition, data volume on windows 7 for free...Read more >>
- how to create a partition in windows 7 - free download partition magic for windows 7 to create new volumes on windows 7...Read more >>
- windows 7 local disk c is running out of space - fix issue when windows 7 reports that local disk drive c is running on low disk space...Read more >>
- how to delete a windows 7 partition - partition software download to delete volume on windows 7 without using disk management...Read more >>
- partition software for windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit system - partition manager free download to resize disk on windows 7 32 and 64 bit...Read more >>
- add unallocated space to system partition windows 7 - how do you add unallocated space to system partition when windows 7 runs low on c...Read more >>
- expand c drive windows 7 vmware - free to expand the size of system partition c drive in vmware on windows 7...Read more >>
- IM-Magic Partition Resizer Server - Partition space redistributing software that works for Windows Server 2003, 2008 and other editions.